Thursday, December 27, 2012

Cannibal Ox, The Cold Vein

I caught the reemergence of Cannibal Ox earlier this month at The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn, it was their first show in over seven years. The Harlem based duo consisting of Vast Aire and Vordul Mega may appear to have been wrapped in mystery over whether they were still together due to many allegations that they had disbanded, but that all looks to be a figment of the past now. Their debut, 2001's The Cold Vein is a landmark album in an era in Hip Hop where gritty lyrics and beats were not the flavor of choice. It's essential to any collection.
I was just introduced to this album just only a few months ago, but I haven't swapped it out for much else because the images are so visceral and real to me. It's a direct sound to image of what life was in New York, especially for me. Vast and V Mega's lyrics intertwine and support each other as they maneuver El-P's beats. I hold this album in such high regard I once explained it to a friend as "watching a perfect composition being performed live. It's like the Beatles performing Sgt. Pepper."
Thankfully Cannibal Ox is on tour and returning next year with an as of yet untitled LP. They played some new tracks at The Knitting Factory that night and I'm excited for whatever they decide to release. Below are some blurry cell phone pics, three songs from The Cold Vein followed by a Def Jux documentary featuring Cannibal Ox.










No comments:

Post a Comment