Friday, July 26, 2013

The Afrika Bambaataa Master of Records Open Archive

Afrika Bambaataa is as essential to Hip Hop Kulture as DJ Kool Herc. While Herc was the first to bring B-Boys and Girls, Emcees together during his park Jams it was Afrika Bambaataa who after a trip in Africa decided to transform the gang he led, The Black Spades into The Universal Zulu Nation. The organization expanded to all areas of the city and became a large proponent of Hip Hop and all of its active elements including but not limited to Deejaying, Graffiti, Breaking and Rapping. It was Bambaataa who met Malcom Mclaren and he was the first to bring Hip Hop to the attention of record executives and was a major supporter of the art in its infancy. I encourage you to listen to the Buffalo Gals- Back to Skool compilation for further info.


Bambaataa's song Planet Rock is my unofficial musical anthem. Before I really cared about music I knew that was my jam. I had a chance to speak to Bambaataa and give my respect. He is truly a powerful inspiration and humble figure in Hip Hop. Now his record collection is on public display as part of The Cornell University Library's Hip Hop Collection. The public can come and view the collection Mon-Fri from 12-5PM at Gavin Brown's Enterprise 620 Greenwich Street in New York City. The exhibit ends on August 10th 2013.

Press Release

No comments:

Post a Comment